Sunday, November 2, 2008

Q&A: Eyetoeye

Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Steamboats (AL)
eyetoeye
View Hardball Dynasty Profile


Q: Who is eyetoeye?
A: John, 40 year old living in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. Have also lived in Ohio, California, Connecticut, and New Jersey.

Q: How did you learn about whatifsports.com?
A: I was a Strat-o-Matic freak as a kid and found their online game through the Sporting News web site (I believe). One of the owners on that site asked if I had ever heard of WhatIfSports and suggested I try it.

Q: Which games of ours have you played?
A: Just Sim League baseball.

Q: Besides sports, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?
A: Reading, TV, current events.

Q: Which five people, past or present sit at your dream roundtable discussion?
A: Jesus, Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson, Hank Aaron, and Jim Tressel.

Q: Who are your favorite players of all-time?
A: Being a Reds fan, any of the Big Red Machine of the 70's. I also loved Nolan Ryan and George Brett.

Q: Which are your favorite teams of all-time?
A: The '76 Reds, the greatest lineup in the modern era. Also a Cowboys fan in football and Ohio State fan.

Q: Did you play baseball or basketball (or other sports) growing up?
A: Just baseball. I was a fairly good player in my younger days. I led my little league in home runs one season, and led my junior high team in batting one season, hitting over .500. It started to go downhill once I hit high school.

Q: What is the top sports-related thing you want to do in life that you have not yet done?
A: Attend a Game 7 Reds World Series victory, or attend a Super Bowl. I would also like to visit Wrigley Field.

Q: What would you consider your greatest WIS moment?
A: I still remember my first sim league champion. It was a very low salary cap league and every platoon I had worked perfectly. I also won a league with only players from 1985. I remember the 1985 John Tudor was pretty unbeatable.

Q: In Hardball Dynasty, how do allocate your budget?
A: I play with a low player salary, just because it interests me more. Therefore I am usually heavy into scouting. With the lower player dollars I am able to place more than average dollars in most categories.

Q: How do you approach off-season events with players such as arbitration and free agency?
A: Arbitration is on a player-by-player basis. I don't mind paying for producers and want no part of underachievers. I am not a big player in free agency, other than filling a spot, here and there, with someone who I think I can develop.

Q: What is your general strategy for hiring/re-hiring coaches?
A: I rehire everyone I can. There are certain coaching spots that I won't overpay for, and I really haven't noticed any difference in my team's performances. I think if you have solid players, you win, regardless of the coaching. Although I don't despise coach hiring as much as most owners, it would be nice to sign them for 2-3 year contracts. Everything in this game is so realistic, I don't know why they haven't added that, yet.

Q: How do you finalize rosters at each level?
What role does spring training play in your decision making?
A: I usually use spring training to determine my 24th or 25th roster spot. However, it seems that a sizzling spring training usually translates into a lousy first month of the regular season. As for minor-league promotions I make sure my major-league prospects keep on track, and moving up, based on performance.

Q: What is your basic strategy for setting your starting lineups and pitching rotation?
A: Nothing high tech, my best players play. I do value good defense up the middle and will sacrifice a little offense for it. As for pitching, I had several years of agonizing bullpens. I made a focus of fixing that, and I finally have a group I like.

Q: What do you believe are the most important individual player ratings for performance?
A: Splits for hitters and pitchers. Control for pitchers, since there is enough offense in the game, I don't need to help by walking alot of people. I like starting pitchers with three good pitches.

Q: How do you approach in-season player events like the draft, international prospects, waivers and promotions/demotions?
A: I take the draft very seriously. I usually spend a few days reorganizing my draft list, and have gotten some really good 3rd-7th round picks, as a result. I enjoy trying to find the diamond in the rough. I've recently cut back on the international prospects, even though there are superstars to be had, there. . . I just don't like the huge price tags. I'll keep an eye on the waiver wire when I feel like I need to add someone at a specific postion.

Q: Do you think your strategy will be conducive to building a multi-season dynasty? Or, do you feel that your team may be great for a couple seasons, but then must rebuild?
A: I always laugh at this question. I'm waiting for the first person to say "Yeah, I shut down my entire minor-league system to try to win this year." I like having a competitive team, but haven't quite gotten over the hump, yet.

Q: Do you have any favorite players from any of your HBD teams?
A: Wesley Jordan has been my catcher since year 1 and just produces every year. I had to let Bobby Joe Monroe go, this year, which was tough. He is my franchise's all time wins leader. I also like any player who exceeds his ratings. I root for them even if they never make it out of Low A ball.

Q: How much time do you spend on your Hardball Dynasty teams? How much do you think is necessary to be competitive?
A: I check in every cycle and spend 10-30 minutes "managing." As for how much time is necessary to be competitive, I would defer to the guys who have won titles, on that one.

Q: Who are the users you respect the most?
A: Kbrick is great and has always runs a great league, even back to the AAA sim leagues. I also respect all of the owners who have won titles. It is so difficult to do and I try to analyze their strategies.

Q: What is your favorite aspect of HBD?
A: Just managing "my team." It is such a great stress reliever to log on and disappear into the fake world that is HBD.

Q: What is your least favorite aspect of Hardball Dynasty? As it is still a relatively new game, if you could change three things about HBD, what would they be?
A: I don't hate anything about the site, I really like that they are constantly tweaking the game, making it better. Three things I would like added, or changed are the multi-year coaching contracts. I wish there was some benefit to keeping the older vets on your roster; like a coaching or mentoring rating that would mirror their value in real life. And I wish 100 health rating players wouldn't get injured.

Q: If you were in one of our games, which sport would you play? At which position? And, what would you be rated?
A: Definitely HBD. I would be a first baseman, good glove, no speed, good eye, doubles power, and good makeup. A Mike Lowell type player.

No comments:

NL NORTH

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Steelheads (NL)
Philpitt
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Syracuse
Syracuse SwordWhales (NL)
eacadca
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Philadelphia
Philadelphia Athletics (NL)
trapapoodle
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

NL SOUTH

AL NORTH

AL EAST

New Britain
New Britain Bombers (AL)
2U23L
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

AL WEST

Salem
Salem Buck-Toothed Walruses (AL)
lenbo1212
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Steamboats (AL)
eyetoeye
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Las Vegas
Las Vegas One Arm Bandits (AL)
campbell1972
View Hardball Dynasty Profile