Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Q&A: Phillyfan33

Pawtucket
Pawtucket Penny Pinchers (AL)
phillyfan33
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

Who is phillyfan33

38-year-old man from New York, now living in Tennessee. Married 8 years, to a wonderful wife, and have a 18-month-old son we adopted when he was 3 days old.

How did you learn about whatifsports.com?
Was actually a part of kbrick's AAA league, and heard about this through that.

Which games of ours have you played?
Sim leagues basketball, and baseball, tried Dynasty basketball, 1 season of football, and now only am involved in HBD

Besides sports, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?
loving spending time with my wife and son, after being in a family that was not close, I vowed to be the opposite with my family.

Which five people, past or present sit at your dream roundtable discussion?
Reba McEntire, Kelly Clarkson, Ronald Reagan, Pete Rose , and finally for comedy Dean Martin

Who are your favorite players of all-time?
Mike Schmidt, John Kruk, Steve Carlton, and Cole Hamels

Which are your favorite teams of all-time?
Phillies, long time fan since 76'

Did you play baseball or basketball (or other sports) growing up?
played baseball for 12 years, some in college, tried football a couple years in High school, we won state title 1 year, and lost in the second.....13-0 12-1, last game of the year I got 5 ribs broke on a sandwich hit across the middle....that was enough for me to see I was not a "football" player

What is the top sports-related thing you want to do in life that you have not yet done?
I want to take my wife and son to a pro game, when he is old enough, experience it, and have the memories I have of being at a game.

What would you consider your greatest WIS moment?
just last season in another league. I made it as a division winner, 81-81, and knocked off 2 teams in the playoffs with over 100 wins, 104 and 100 wins. than lost in the LCS....

In Hardball Dynasty, how do allocate your budget?
honestly it depends on my plan for that year, whether I need more for free agents, or if I try and rebuild, and allocate my money to prospects and scouting.....

How do you approach off-season events with players such as arbitration and free agency?
I honestly have a plan before the season ends, and I look at all franchises, to see who is up for free agency, and if I would be interested in pursuing a certain player.....about half way through the season, or later, I always make some "cheap" FA signings and to this point, they have been great.

What is your general strategy for hiring/re-hiring coaches?
I try to see who wants to stay, and re-hire them, and the ones that want to change levels, I try to balance who I want where, and if I need to pursue a big time coach or not.....If I am allocating money to rebuild, I want a great coach at the levels my young guys are in

How do you finalize rosters at each level? What role does spring training play in your decision making?
before spring training was a time to play some young guys and get them the experience at the Ml level, but with the rule passed a little while ago, players ratings could be affected by not playing them, so now I try to play my starters at least half of the games, and than spot fill the young guys here and there.

What is your basic strategy for setting your starting lineups and pitching rotation?
starting line-up really needs a speedy guy, and than a contact player to set the table for a few power hitters. After that, a couple of middle of the road hitters, followed by a good contact hitter, or sacrifice bunt guy, before the pitcher's position.

What do you believe are the most important individual player ratings for performance?
batting eye, glove, and gb/fb ratio's

How do you approach in-season player events like the draft, international prospects, waivers and promotions/demotions?
most of the time, I see what my players at the Ml level would be doing in a few seasons, I.E. retiring, free agents, etc. I try to visualize that and then build my draft settings to help my ML team out by their departures. waivers have been great to do right as the season is coming to an end, players are cheap, and they have signed back with me at least 75% of the time the following season.

Do you think your strategy will be conducive to building a multi-season dynasty? Or, do you feel that your team may be great for a couple seasons, but then must rebuild?
I feel that someday I will get a nice system, after being so 'trade happy" early on, I am finally learning a bit on how to run a team, but I feel my team always under achieves for some reason.

Do you have any favorite players from any of your HBD teams?
one of my favorites was from my early season in philly, was StuffY O'Malley. 100 power 0 contact. Ronnie Dunn was my biggest mistake, should have never traded him away. Julio Salinas is my best pitcher, keeps plugging along near the end of his career. I have a guy in Mr. October, Mel Elder, he is going to be a beast, and I would love to see how many MVP awards he will receive

How much time do you spend on your Hardball Dynasty teams? How much do you think is necessary to be competitive?
I think your should spend at least 15-20 minutes a day for each team you have....at least I do

Who are the users you respect the most?
many many users, included are kbrick, schlemiel, ferguson, sbarrouque, goldenboy, basilleaf, nordique, yanks21, mrploppie, blownranger, eacadca, philpitt, poconomets, koby, and many more from previous leagues

What is your favorite aspect of HBD?
no matter how poorly I do, or how bad I stink, no one can fire me, all I have to do is re-up and try it again next season

What is your least favorite aspect of Hardball Dynasty? As it is still a relatively new game, if you could change three things about HBD, what would they be?
coach hiring, way too long, and If I could change it, there would be 3 year deals for all coaches, and eliminate part of the frustration before the season begins. Also a button to automatically re-sign your minor league players, instead of having to submit an offer to one at a time. Kind of long if you have 30 or so.

If you were in one of our games, which sport would you play? At which position? And, what would you be rated?
HBD baseball....third base/outfield decent power, contact, very good defense, and I am very patient.

No comments:

NL NORTH

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Steelheads (NL)
Philpitt
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Syracuse
Syracuse SwordWhales (NL)
eacadca
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Philadelphia
Philadelphia Athletics (NL)
trapapoodle
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

NL SOUTH

AL NORTH

AL EAST

New Britain
New Britain Bombers (AL)
2U23L
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

AL WEST

Salem
Salem Buck-Toothed Walruses (AL)
lenbo1212
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Steamboats (AL)
eyetoeye
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Las Vegas
Las Vegas One Arm Bandits (AL)
campbell1972
View Hardball Dynasty Profile