Sunday, November 2, 2008

Q&A: Reigny

Burlington
Burlington Mountaineers (AL)
reigny
View Hardball Dynasty Profile


Who is reigny?
Reigny is really Jeff, a 41 yr old from Northern VA who only has two beliefs to base his life on. 1) Baseball is Life... the rest is just details. 2) I don't wanna grow up...I'm a Toys R Us kid.

How did you learn about whatifsports.com?
I played a free season of SIM baseball and got hooked.

Which games of ours have you played?
HBD, GD, Clutch Racing, SIM baseball, Soccer Dynasty, and HD

Besides sports, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?
I tend to read a lot, and I'm a couch potato for the History Channel and the Fox Soccer channel.

Which five people, past or present sit at your dream roundtable discussion?
Albert Einstein, Atilla the Hun, Thomas Jefferson, Ted Williams, Sarah Pallin (sorry, she's hot)

Who are your favorite players of all-time?
Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig

Which are your favorite teams of all-time?
2004/2007 Boston Red Sox, 2005 Washington Nationals, and any Green Bay Packer team

Did you play baseball or basketball (or other sports) growing up?
Baseball from T-Ball through high school, Soccer from first walking through my scholarship at Loyola

What is the top sports-related thing you want to do in life that you have not yet done?
I want to finally pass my Scuba Instructor's licensing test and then open my own scuba charter company in Australia.

What would you consider your greatest WIS moment?
Winning the division in the ARomano world with a team that had no chance

In Hardball Dynasty, how do allocate your budget?
I used to follow the Yankees.... buy buy buy. Now I keep payroll low and try to build up with IFA and draft. All scouting is at least 20 MIL per year.

How do you approach offseason events with players such as arbitration and free agency?
I've never had reliable results with FA, so I pretty much let them go. In terms of arbitration, if the player has performed well, I'll sign for the long term, if not.... I release them.

What is your general strategy for hiring/re-hiring coaches?
I try to keep them as long as possible. But when the salary demands get too high, it's just time to hire new.

How do you finalize rosters at each level? What role does spring training play in your decision making?
Spring training decides my ML, AAA, and AA teams. The Hi-A, Lo-A, teams are made up of my Rookie team getting promoted.

What is your basic strategy for setting your starting lineups and pitching rotation?
Strategy is pretty much going with the flow. If a player or pitcher is on a roll, they play. If they hit a wall, I bench them.

What do you believe are the most important individual player ratings for performance?
The R/L splits, but also the temper and health numbers.

How do you approach in-season player events like the draft, international prospects, waivers and promotions/demotions?
The draft takes me about two days to evaluate who I think I want. Out of 25 picks, if I can land 5-8 of my "wish list", then I'm happy. IFA players only if their numbers look good, waivers to help my minors more than anything. Promotion/demotions are always happening in my organizations.

Do you think your strategy will be conducive to building a multi-season dynasty? Or, do you feel that your team may be great for a couple seasons, but then must rebuild?
I'm still looking for my first year of a multi year dynasty.

Do you have any favorite players from any of your HBD teams?
Khoury Shaw (DH Monterrey Desert Dawgs/ Rice Not Lynn). He was my first trade and he'll retire a Desert Dawg when he wants.

How much time do you spend on your Hardball Dynasty teams? How much do you think is necessary to be competitive?
I spend about 2 hours a night on my teams. (After my wife and my daughter go to bed, because family is still more important)

Who are the users you respect the most?
ewd330 (allowed me to join the RNL league which got me hooked. madmuldoon -- My mother in law was diagnosed with M5 Leukemia and I was missing major time with all my teams. Patrick sitemailed me and took over all of my teams for awhile. He pretty much gave me the time needed to work through it. He was the reason why I play.... he's become my best friend (my worst enemy when we play)and I think he's the perfect example of what this game should be to us..... Friends coming together not only in game but in real life if needed.

What is your favorite aspect of HBD?
the amatuer draft

What is your least favorite aspect of Hardball Dynasty? As it is still a relatively new game, if you could change three things about HBD, what would they be?
1. Let's be able to hire coaches for multiyear contracts
2. We should be able to trade RL players the year they are drafted and also be able to trade away or trade for draft picks
3. Instead of FA demanding a certain amount of pay and refusing all, we should be able to negotiate more with them.

If you were in one of our games, which sport would you play? At which position? And, what would you be rated?
HBD... third base ... and I'd be a player rated in the high 60's or low 70's at the 27 yr old mark.

No comments:

NL NORTH

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Steelheads (NL)
Philpitt
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Syracuse
Syracuse SwordWhales (NL)
eacadca
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Philadelphia
Philadelphia Athletics (NL)
trapapoodle
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

NL SOUTH

AL NORTH

AL EAST

New Britain
New Britain Bombers (AL)
2U23L
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

AL WEST

Salem
Salem Buck-Toothed Walruses (AL)
lenbo1212
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Steamboats (AL)
eyetoeye
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Las Vegas
Las Vegas One Arm Bandits (AL)
campbell1972
View Hardball Dynasty Profile