Sunday, November 2, 2008

Q&A: Vdaino



Q: Who is vdaino?

A: vdaino is a 39 year old entrepreneur from New Jersey. I am married and have a beautiful 3 year old daughter who is the center of my world.

Q: How did you learn about whatifsports.com?
A: Bill Simmons, of course.

Q: Which games of ours have you played?
A: Everything except Hockey and Car Racing (are you kidding? CAR RACING? LOL).

Q: Besides sports, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?
A: reading, writing, guitar, music, coaching and eastern "religion"

Q: Which five people, past or present sit at your dream roundtable discussion?
A: Muhammad Ali; Buddha; Ralph Waldo Emerson; Neil Young; and Jenna Jameson

Q: Who are your favorite players of all-time?
A: Pete Rose; Steve Carlton; Charles Barkley; Moses Malone; Marvin Hagler; Aaron Pryor; Evander Holyfield

Q: Which are your favorite teams of all-time?
A: '80 Phillies; '82-83 Sixers; '86 Penn State Nittany Lions

Q: Did you play baseball or basketball (or other sports) growing up?
A: I played baseball and basketball . . . SS, 3B and pitcher (usually after a flame thrower, my painfully slow stuff would throw them off) and point guard (who liked to post up Moses-style.)

Q: What is the top sports-related thing you want to do in life that you have not yet done?
A: I want to participate in a white-collar boxing match.

Q: What would you consider your greatest WIS moment?
A: beating the heavily favored schedule1's New Orleans Magnolias in 5 games to win the L.E.G. championship

Q: In Hardball Dynasty, how do allocate your budget?
A: mid-level payroll, heavy on all scouting, medical and training, zero international

Q: How do you approach off-season events with players such as arbitration and free agency?
A: I usually go through arb with 1st year arb eligible players, 2nd year players I sign long term if they are core players and release/trade players with high demands. Free agency, I usually pick up bullpen help, backup catchers and OF bats.

Q: What is your general strategy for hiring/re-hiring coaches?
A: Re-hire as many as I can. I HATE COACH HIRING

Q: How do you finalize rosters at each level? What role does spring training play in your decision making?
A: I do not pay much attention to the minor leagues. I just make sure my top prospects advance and that I have every position covered . . . and still my pitchers get fried.

Q: What is your basic strategy for setting your starting lineups and pitching rotation?
A: High OBP players at a premium, control and vs. RH and LH is what I look for in starting pitchers. I always seem to have shut-down closers.

Q: What do you believe are the most important individual player ratings for performance?
A: Good question. let me know when you know the answer.

Q: How do you approach in-season player events like the draft, international prospects, waivers and promotions/demotions?
A: I am spending more time on the draft as a series of poor ones have hurt me. I am ranking my top 50 - 60 now. I target 5 - 6 players at levels I think I can get them. I do not chase international players anymore, too expensive. I check waivers every so often and let Sparky handle in-season promotions in the minors.

Q: Do you think your strategy will be conducive to building a multi-season dynasty? Or, do you feel that your team may be great for a couple seasons, but then must rebuild?
A: my strategy is to have a competitive team every year with a chance to compete for the championship every year.

Q: Do you have any favorite players from any of your HBD teams?
A: Sam Rodgers; J.D. Seneca and Jake Berry from Evangeline; Adam Foster; Chad Lee (never should have traded you, Chad); Footsie Stewart; Matty Fernandez and Hal Sheldon from L.E.G.; Bosco Morton, Magglio Bennett and Bartolo Escobar from Stickball . . . no one from the Negro League yet . . . BUMS!

Q: How much time do you spend on your Hardball Dynasty teams? How much do you think is necessary to be competitive?
A: I spend too much time and not enough time . . . I am competitive but I'm no sched.

Q: Who are the users you respect the most?
A: kbrick; Schlemiel; schedule1 and bbqjason are all great owners

Q: What is your favorite aspect of HBD?
A: the sheer depth of the game. . . It is amazing and an incredible value at the price.

Q: What is your least favorite aspect of Hardball Dynasty? As it is still a relatively new game, if you could change three things about HBD, what would they be?
A: Did I mention that I hate COACH HIRING? 1) Coach hiring sucks 2) and Coach hiring; and 3) Coach Hiring

Q: If you were in one of our games, which sport would you play? At which position? And, what would you be rated?
A: I would play SS in HBD. i would be a speedy great fielding SS with a great eye, a real pest at the plate; a clutch hitter who delivers in the crunch.

No comments:

NL NORTH

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Steelheads (NL)
Philpitt
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Syracuse
Syracuse SwordWhales (NL)
eacadca
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Philadelphia
Philadelphia Athletics (NL)
trapapoodle
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

NL SOUTH

AL NORTH

AL EAST

New Britain
New Britain Bombers (AL)
2U23L
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

AL WEST

Salem
Salem Buck-Toothed Walruses (AL)
lenbo1212
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Steamboats (AL)
eyetoeye
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Las Vegas
Las Vegas One Arm Bandits (AL)
campbell1972
View Hardball Dynasty Profile