Sunday, November 2, 2008

Q&A: Johnnydancer



Q: Who is JohnnyDancer?

A: My name is Johnny and I am a dance instructor by trade. I am in my early forties, married, a native Texan and am a die-hard sports fan.

Q: How did you learn about whatifsports.com?
A: Three years ago, I was surfing the net in search of a challenging sports game to play when I came across whatifsports.com. I have been hooked ever since.

Q: Which games of ours have you played?
A: All of the dynasty games, but HBD is by far my favorite. I currently have three squads in HBD: the Conquistadors (formerly the Texas Swingers) the Florida Mojitos in OCD World and the Los Angeles Avengers of The New Guys World

Q: Besides sports, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?
A: Movies, reading and dancing.

Q: Who are your favorite players of all-time?
A: Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkington, Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan and Carl Yastrzemski

Q: Which are your favorite teams of all-time?
A: Dallas Cowboys

Q: Did you play baseball or basketball (or other sports) growing up?
A: Played football, basketball, baseball, soccer and track from childhood up until my senior year in high school.

Q: What is the top sports-related thing you want to do in life that you have not yet done?
A: Play one game of hockey and see what it is like.

Q: What would you consider your greatest WIS moment?
A: Making the playoffs for the first time in HBD.

Q: In Hardball Dynasty, how do allocate your budget?
A: I spend most of my budget on returning players and coaches.

Q: How do you approach off-season events with players such as arbitration and free agency?
A: In order to fill holes in my lineups, due to retirements, free-agency or injuries, I usually like to promote players from within my farm leagues first. I will only use free-agency as a last resort. I usually try to make my team as young as possible (easier said than done).

Q: What is your general strategy for hiring/re-hiring coaches?
A: Besides their loyalty to the team: Wins and losses.

Q: How do you finalize rosters at each level? What role does spring training play in your decision making?
A: At the beginning of the season, I pretty much know who is, or not, going to be on my team. Spring Training has little to do, if any, on who is going to be on my final ML roster. I rarely do trades and I use free agency to fill in gaps.

Q: What is your basic strategy for setting your starting lineups and pitching rotation?
A: I prefer to have a five Starting Pitcher rotation, one Mop-up, two Long Releivers, four Set-ups and one closer. I prefer pitchers with control and stamina. Having an offensive-minded philosophy for my team, I tend to favor players that specialize in power hitting.

Q: What do you believe are the most important individual player ratings for performance?
A: Pitching Control

Q: How do you approach in-season player events like the draft, international prospects, waivers and promotions/demotions?
A: Although I prefer offensive-minded team, I still try to draft the best pitchers possible and then gradually work them through my farm system

Q: Do you think your strategy will be conducive to building a multi-season dynasty? Or, do you feel that your team may be great for a couple seasons, but then must rebuild?
A: In my experience, my teams do pretty well for a couple of seasons and then they go into a major slump fo a couple more. At this time, I'm still looking for the right balance i order to sustain winning seasons.

Q: How much time do you spend on your Hardball Dynasty teams? How much do you think is necessary to be competitive?
A: On average, I spend at least a half hour a day on my teams.

Q: Who are the users you respect the most?
A: kbrick and leecountry (OCD World)

Q: What is your favorite aspect of HBD?
A: The opportunity to rebuild and improve your teams over a period of seasons.

Q: What is your least favorite aspect of Hardball Dynasty? As it is still a relatively new game, if you could change three things about HBD, what would they be?
A: Coaching, Coaching and Coaching. Coaches should be allowed to sign muti-year contracts with their respective teams.

Q: If you were in one of our games, which sport would you play? At which position? And, what would you be rated?
A: I would want to play football and be the quarterback.

No comments:

NL NORTH

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Steelheads (NL)
Philpitt
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Syracuse
Syracuse SwordWhales (NL)
eacadca
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Philadelphia
Philadelphia Athletics (NL)
trapapoodle
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

NL SOUTH

AL NORTH

AL EAST

New Britain
New Britain Bombers (AL)
2U23L
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

AL WEST

Salem
Salem Buck-Toothed Walruses (AL)
lenbo1212
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Steamboats (AL)
eyetoeye
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Las Vegas
Las Vegas One Arm Bandits (AL)
campbell1972
View Hardball Dynasty Profile