Sunday, November 2, 2008

Q&A: Lenbo1212

Salem
Salem Buck-Toothed Walruses (AL)
lenbo1212
View Hardball Dynasty Profile


Q: Who is (Lenbo1212)?
A: My name is Len. I'm a 44 yr old tax accountant, married, and father of two boys, ages 10 and 8.

Q: How did you learn about whatifsports.com?
A: Saw it mentioned in a Sports Illustrated note in 2001, logged on, tried a spring training team and have been hooked ever since.

Q: Which games of ours have you played?
A: Sim League Baseball, Hoops Dynasty, Hardball Dynasty and recently Clutch Racing Dynasty.

Q: Besides sports, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?
A: Astronomy (and the US Space program history in particular), orienteering and strategy games.

Q: Which five people, past or present sit at your dream roundtable discussion?
A: Hmmm, first would be any of the astronauts who walked on the moon. I'd love to hear a first-hand account of the experience. Otherwise anyone who was a pioneer in his/her field to try and gain insight into their motivations, thought processes and inspirations - people like the Wright Brothers, Beethoven, any of the founding fathers.

Q: Who are your favorite players of all-time?
A: I always had a soft spot for Jay Johnstone. Currently I'd go with Chase Utley.

Q: Which are your favorite teams of all-time?
A: Any Philly team will do but no season will ever compare to the 1993 Phils (although this year's edition is giving them a run).

Q: Did you play baseball or basketball (or other sports) growing up?
A: I ran track until sophomore year in high school.

Q: What is the top sports-related thing you want to do in life that you have not yet done?
A: I'd love to attend a World Series game involving the Phils. Short of that a Ryder Cup match will suffice

Q: What would you consider your greatest WIS moment?
A: Has to be my first World Series win with a $160M White Sox team. Ed Walsh single-handedly carried that team through the playoffs.

Q: In Hardball Dynasty, how do allocate your budget?
A: As I was too loyal in the beginning to the veterans on the team most of it goes to player salaries. I've totally bagged international scouting for all the reasons previously mentioned and used those funds for advance scouting and training/medical.

Q: How do you approach off-season events with players such as arbitration and free agency?
A: I try to avoid arbitration if at all possible by either signing them to contracts or releasing them if the demands are totally ludicrous. I'll use free-agency to fill a hole or two where my minor leaguer is still a year or two away.

Q: What is your general strategy for hiring/re-hiring coaches?
A: Rehire anyone who wants to come back and then find the best value for the open positions.

Q: How do you finalize rosters at each level? What role does spring training play in your decision making?
A: You know spring training messed me up for a few seasons and I got caught up in some gaudy numbers from some prospects only to have them bomb in the regular season. Then I remembered the words of Lou Brown regarding Willie Mays Hayes hitting off a guy who'll be "bagging groceries next week" and I took it for what it is. Give the prospects a look and avoid injuries till the season begins.

Q: What is your basic strategy for setting your starting lineups and pitching rotation?
A: I'll look over the sims suggestions and laugh. Then I go for speed at the top, good contact at 2 and 3 and the power at 4. If the makeup allows I'll repeat the same pattern for 5-8.

Q: What do you believe are the most important individual player ratings for performance?
A: Judging from my past performances I have no clue, lol. For hitters I look for high contact and a similar rating against both righties and lefties. For pitchers I'm a control freak (Mitch Williams in 1993 taught me the value of control) and similarly the ability to get batters out from both sides of the plate.

Q: How do you approach in-season player events like the draft, international prospects, waivers and promotions/demotions?
A: I just be sure to draft enough at each position to fill the rookie league. I don't do much in-season promoting except for the higher round draft choices who will hopefully be the nucleus in the near future.

Q: Do you think your strategy will be conducive to building a multi-season dynasty? Or, do you feel that your team may be great for a couple seasons, but then must rebuild?
A: I fully expect to have to rebuild almost every year.

Q: Do you have any favorite players from any of your HBD teams?
A: Calvin Cho was a favorite even though he frustrated me to no end. Currently Josh Davis would be my favorite.

Q: How much time do you spend on your Hardball Dynasty teams? How much do you think is necessary to be competitive?
A: I usually get about 20 minutes a day which is probably at least half as much as is needed for sustained success in this game.

Q: Who are the users you respect the most?
A: I've always had great respect for eschwartz67. He's always been willing to offer advice to the newbies or just provide insight on something he's discovered.

Q: What is your favorite aspect of HBD?
A: Watching the draft picks develop to the point they are ready for the bigs.

Q: What is your least favorite aspect of Hardball Dynasty? As it is still a relatively new game, if you could change three things about HBD, what would they be?
A: Can't find much fault with the game. I do go along with the hire coaches for multiple years idea. Or at least make loyalty rating mean something. It drives me nuts when a 70 loyalty is ready to go in one year.

Q: If you were in one of our games, which sport would you play? At which position? And, what would you be rated?
A: I'd like to think I'd make a decent AA bench coach.

No comments:

NL NORTH

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Steelheads (NL)
Philpitt
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Syracuse
Syracuse SwordWhales (NL)
eacadca
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Philadelphia
Philadelphia Athletics (NL)
trapapoodle
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

NL SOUTH

AL NORTH

AL EAST

New Britain
New Britain Bombers (AL)
2U23L
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

AL WEST

Salem
Salem Buck-Toothed Walruses (AL)
lenbo1212
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Steamboats (AL)
eyetoeye
View Hardball Dynasty Profile
Las Vegas
Las Vegas One Arm Bandits (AL)
campbell1972
View Hardball Dynasty Profile